SVRC Scholarship Program
The SVRC scholarship fund was established in 2007 in memory of David Thoms, a SVRC member, gentle soul, friend and dedicated runner. The program is funded through individual donations, funds from the club sponsored races and business contributions.
The Dave Thoms Memorial Fund was created as a way to invest back into the local community of Morgan Hill, San Martin and Gilroy. It is also a way to reward, encourage, and recognize our local running youth who achieve not only athletic excellence but academic success as well.
The scholarship committee consists of the Board of Directors of SVRC and is chaired by the club president.
• High School seniors graduating from any of the Morgan Hill or Gilroy high schools in the spring semester.
• Enrollment into a full time study program (12 hours) that will lead to either an Associates or Baccalaureate degree.
• Participation as a runner in either cross country and/or track & field in their junior and senior years of high school.
• Unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• Extracurricular activities and community involvement.
• Displays exemplary citizenship and good sportsmanship on their running teams.
• Demonstrates a financial need.
It will be the sole discretion of the scholarship committee to determine the best candidate(s) among those applying each year and the level of funding.
Scholarships may be granted to an individual or divided among multiple recipients at the discretion of the scholarship committee. Scholarships are awarded one time. The scholarship committee can choose not to award any funds in a given year.
Use of Funds and Distribution
The award is intended for the use of the recipient in pursuit of post secondary education. Funds will be issued directly to the student.
1. Complete the application form.
2. Provide an official transcript including the first semester of the senior year in high school.
3. Submit two letters of reference;
a. One must be from a teacher, coach, guidance counselor or school administrator.
b. One may be from a person of applicant’s choice who is not a relative.
4. Personal essay. Indicate why you qualify for this scholarship. Must be typed and between 400 – 600 words in length.
5. Provide confirmation of acceptance into a 2/4 year college/university program.
6. Be prepared for a telephone or personal interview if asked.
Application Deadline and Notification of Award
Submit your application and additional required documents no later than April 1. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered for review.
Award winners if any will be notified by May 1.
For questions please email President@svrchome.org
FORWARD APPLICATIONS AND REQUIRED ATTACHMENTS TO:
Attention: Scholarship Committee
South Valley Running Club
P.O. Box 323
San Martin, CA. 95046-0323